The Tyson Center for Faith and Spirituality in the Workplace encourages other colleges or educational groups to discuss how to develop a spiritual environment and respect into the workplace. With that in mind, we share the resources below to assist in this endeavor.
- Binns, Corey. American Workforce Surprisingly Satisfied. LiveScience, Aug. 31, 2007.
- Dey, Sudipto. BPOs Use Spirituality as Retention Tool, Economic Times, Nov. 25, 2004.
- Doctors Say Let Us Pray With Patients, The Christian Institute, June 29, 2009.
- Gill, David. 2011. Was Aaron Feuerstein Wrong? Ethix.org
- Rice-Oxley, Mark. Some British Christians Feel Oppressed in the Public Square, Christian Science Monitor, Feb. 26, 2009.
- Religious CEO's
Articles you can download
- Bell, Ron. Essay: Spirit in Business and Work.
- Buddhist to Train Police in Zen, AP, July 5, 2003.
- Egan, Tom. Defining Spirituality in the Workplace
- Hastings, R. 2007. Continuing Communication Helps Religious Accommodations, SPRH.
- Murawski, John. Faith at Work: Some Corporations Hire On-Site Chaplains, McClatchy Newspapers, Oct. 17, 2009.
- Neal, Judi. That Which You Bless
- Nebelung, Lucira Jane. 2010. Leadership as Connection: A Radical Approach, HRPS
- Puchalski, Christina and Sylvia McSkimming. 2006. Creating Healing Environments. Health Progress
- Snyder, Eric. Business Owners Rely on Faith to Lead, Shape Their Firms, Nashville Business Journal, Jan. 29, 2010.
- Taylor, Shawn. Calling Off Careers in Favor of "Callings": Women From 40 on Bid Farewell to "Work" Work, Chicago Tribune, Dec. 7, 2003.
- Varley, Patricia. Marketing and Networking for Success: A Heart-Centered Approach.
- We're Burned Out. Study: Majority Feel Overworked, Overwhelmed; Dream of a New Job. ABCNews.com, May 16, 2001.
- Wohlberg, Tara. Bright Lights. Global and Mail, March 5, 2003.
Spiritual-Based Leadership Research
The Tyson Center for Faith and Spirituality in the Workplace is working with William and Debra Miller and the Global Dharma Center to expand the six-year in depth study they conducted with Peter Pruzan and Kirsten Pruzan Mikkelsen. We will be recruiting a small number of select researchers to be trained in the research protocol and to help collect more interview data with leaders who have a spiritual base in the way that they lead. Click here to read about the data that has been collected thus far and the research methods that were used.
- Teleconference with William and Debra Miller 4-12-12 - Overview of the research
- Teleconference with William and Debra Miller 4-12-12 - Research details for potential researchers
Journal of Management, Spirituality and Religion
The primary journal in the field of faith and spirituality in the workplace is the Journal of Management, Spirituality and Religion. We encourage you to have your library subscribe.
Journal Special Issues
These links will take you to the Journal pages where you can see the table of contents for the special issue and read the abstracts.
- Journal of Managerial Psychology, 2002, Vol. 17, Number 3
- Spirituality, Leadership, Work and Organizations, Guest editor: Nada Korac- Kakabadse
- Journal of Organizational Change Management, 1999, Vol. 12, Number 3
- Spirituality in Organizations, Part I, Guest editors: Jerry Biberman and Michael Whitty
- Spirituality in Organizations, Part II, Guest editors: Jerry Biberman and Michael Whitty
- Journal of Organizational Change Management, 2003, Vol. 16, Issue 4
- Research on Spirituality in Organizations: Issues, Methods and Findings, Guest editors: Judi Neal and Jerry Biberman
- Journal of Organizational Change Management, Vol. 17, Issue 1
- Research that Matters: Helping Organizations Integrate Spiritual Values and Practices, Guest editors: Judi Neal and Jerry Biberman
- Kinjerski, Val. 2008. The Promise of Spirit at Work: Increasing Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment and Reducing Turnover and Absenteeism in Long-Term Care, Journal of Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 34, No. 10, pp. 17-25.
- Lynn, Monty, Michael Naughton, and Steve VanderVeen, 2009. Faith at Work Scale (FWS): Justification, Development, and Validation of a Measure of Judeo-Christian Religion in the Workplace, Journal of Business Ethics, 85: 227-243.
- Mitroff, Ian, Elizabeth Denton and Can Mural Alpaslan, 2009. A Spiritual Audit of Corporate America: Ten Years Later, Journal of Management, Spirituality and Religion, Vol. 6, Issue 1, pp. 27-41.
- Rego, Armenio and Miguel Pina e Cunha. 2008. Workplace Spirituality and Organizational Commitment: An Empirical Study, Journal of Organizational Change Management, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 53-75.
- Seidman, Audry. 2011. Listening for the Sacred Within - and at Work. OD Practitioner, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 36-43.
- Waddock, Sandra. 2009. Pragmatic Visionaries: Difference Makers as Social Entrepreneurs, Organizational Dynamics, Vol. 38, Issue 4, pp. 281-289.
- Neal, J. and L. Hoopes. 2013. Assessing Edgewalker qualities and skills, in Handbook on Workplace Spirituality, Ozbilgin, Mustafa; David Miller; Frank Bournois; and Yochanan Altman (eds.), Edgar Elgar Publishing
- Neal, J. 2011. Edgewalker Organizations, in Luk Bouckaert and Laszlo Zsolnai, (eds.), Handbook on Spirituality in the Workplace, (eds.) New York: Palgrave.
- Neal, J. 2011. Edgewalkers: Leadership and the new global human, in Mark Russell (ed.), Spirituality Based Wisdom for Leadership. China Europe International Business School and the European SPES Forum.
- Gorkski, Eric. Number of Groups for Atheists Skyrocket on College Campuses. Boston Globe, November 27, 2009.
- Muslim Americans: No Signs of Growth in Alienation or Extremism: Mainstream and Moderate Attitudes. Pew Research Center Report on Political Opinions and Social Values, August 20, 2011.
- Newport, Frank, Sangeeta Agrawal and Dan Witters. Very Religious Americans Lead Healthier Lives: Relationship Hols When Controlling For Key Demographics. Gallup Poll
- Religious Americans Healthier - Gallup Poll, October 10, 201l
- Brooks, David. The Building Blocks of Learning. The New York Times. June 14, 2016.
- Brooks, David. At the Edge of Inside. The New York Times. June 24, 2016.
Articles you can download
- Archbishop Foley Addresses Business, Advertising Ethics, Vatican Information Services, July 15, 2004.
- Prothero, Stephen. A Dangerous Belief. Wall Street Journal, April 23, 2010.
- Stone, Daniel. One Nation Under God? Newsweek Poll on Religious Life, April 7, 2009.
- Webley, Simon. Religious Practices in the Workplace. Institute of Business Ethics, March 2011.
- U.S. Religious Landscape Survey. Religious Affiliation: Diverse and Dynamic. The Pew Forum on Religious and Public Life, February 2008.
- U.S. Religious Landscape Survey Appendix: Survey Methodology. The Pew Forum on Religious and Public Life, February 2008.
- Wheaton Declaration on Business as Integral Calling, October 2009.
- Zoll, Rachel. More Americans Say They Have No Religion, AP Yahoo!News, March 9, 2009.
Kinjerski, Val. 2008. The Promise of Spirit at Work: Increasing Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment and Reducing Turnover and Absenteeism in Long-Term Care, Journal of Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 34, No. 10, pp. 17-25. Lynn, Monty, Michael Naughton, and Steve VanderVeen, 2009. Faith at Work Scale (FWS): Justification, Development, and Validation of a Measure of Judeo-Christian Religion in the Workplace, Journal of Business Ethics, 85: 227-243. Mitroff, Ian, Elizabeth Denton and Can Mural Alpaslan, 2009. A Spiritual Audit of Corporate America: Ten Years Later, Journal of Management, Spirituality and Religion, Vol. 6, Issue 1, pp. 27-41.
The dissertations in this section are primarily focused on a particular faith or religious perspective.
- MANAGEMENT THEORY AND SPIRITUALITY: A FRAMEWORK AND VALIDATION OF THE INDEPENDENT
SPIRITUALITY ASSESSMENT SCALE
Ronald Raymond Rojas - 2002
- SPIRITUAL INTELLIGENCE - IS IT RELATED TO A LEADER'S LEVEL OF ETHICAL DEVELOPMENT?
Linda Hildebrant - 2011
- SPIRITUALITY AND JOB SATISFACTION: A CORRELATIONAL STUDY AMONG NURSES
Rhonda S. Bell - 2006
- A CORRELATIONAL STUDY OF LEADER BEHAVIORAL RESPONSE TO SPIRITUAL VALUES IN DRIVING
Harold Rivera Mulero - 2010
- SPIRITUALITY AT WORK: AN EXPLORATORY SOCIOLOGICAL INVESTIGATION OF THE FORD MOTOR
Timothy Bowman - 2004
- SPIRITUALITY AND ORGANIZATIONAL SUCCESS- Masters Thesis (in Dutch)
Boaz van Luijk - 2011
- CHOOSING TO CONNECT WORK AND ALIENTATION- Masters Thesis (in Dutch)
Boaz van Luijk - 2009
The dissertations in this section focus primarily on the relationship between leadership and faith, or leadership and spirituality.
- IMPACT OF SELF PERCEIVED SPIRITUALITY OF LEADERS AT WORK AND LEADERS' REPUTATION ON
TEAMS' SPIRITUAL CLIMATE.
Chattopadhyay, Debaprasad. 2012.
- THE VALUE OF A SPIRITUAL LEADERSHIP ELECTIVE IN AN MBA PORGRAMME. Abstract.
Katz, Robert. 2011.
- THE CONSTUCT DEVELOPMENT OF SPIRITUAL LEADERSHIP. Abstract.
Emily Lean 2012.
- THE USE OF MEDITATION AND INTUITION IN DECISION-MAKING REPORTS FROM EXECUTIVE MEDITATORS
McNaughton, Robert Drummond 2003
- WHAT IS THE EXPERIENCE OF BEING A WOMAN BUSINESS OWNER IN SOUTHWESTERN PENNSYLVANIA?
Tongel, Marsha. 2008.
The faith and spirituality in the workplace dissertations in this section primarily use quantitative methods such as surveys as their primary data collection method.
The faith and spirituality in the workplace dissertations in this section primarily use qualitative methods of data collection, such as interviews and participant observation.
- INSTITUTE FOR PROMOTION OF HUMAN VALUES- Masters Thesis
Vikas Bagri - 2008
- BEING AND THE PERFECT MAN ACCORDING TO IBN 'ARABI AND LAO TZU - Masters Thesis
Mark Kriger 1975
- TOWARD A NEW SPIRIT OF ORGANIZING- Dissertation Proposal
Lennett Schujit 2011
- DaySpring Cards by Laura Akin
- Mercy Health Systems by Tayna Gardner
Award Applications from the organizations receiving the International Spirit at Work Award and the International Faith and Spirit at Work Award Executive Summary of Awards
- Aarti International
- An Cosan
- ANZ Bank
- Ascension Health
- Body Shop
- Catholic Health Initiative
- Center for Excellence in Leadership
- Central DuPage
- Centura Health
- Circle of Life Hospice
- Clean Service Power
- Cordon-Bleu Tomasso and Ouimet-Tomasso
- Eileen Fisher
- Embassy Graphics
- Excel Industries
- Green Mountain Coffee Growers
- Hearthstone Homes
- Heiligenfeld Clinic
- Jesuit Social Services
- Memorial Hermann Health Systems
- Methodist Hospital
- Mt. Carmel Hospital
- Nicholas Piramal
- Planters Bank
- Prairie View
- Providence Health Systems
- Search for Common Ground
- Sounds True
- SREI International Finance
- St. Frances Health Center
- St. Joseph's Hospital
- St. Luke's Episcopal Health
- Telus Mobility
- Ternary Software
- Times of India
- Tyson Foods
- Van Ede
- University of Winchester
- Wheaton Franciscan Services
- Windesheim University